Saturday, May 24, 2008

Traditions

Yesterday we held the annual senior auction, which serves primarily to fund the senior "class gift" to the school. Those of us who have watched these events over the years think that we broke several records: most bid at one time and total dollars collected. We will give the class officers some choices as to what they want to fund with the gift that will be between $8,ooo-9,000. I thank them now and will thank them later as well.

But as an educator, I have some problems with this event. It puts a monetary value on students. Popular and high profile students (athletes for instance) generally attract the most bidding. Quiet students who play second string trumpet (for instance) attract much less attention and consequently much less money. When four students get auctioned for $70 and later two students go for $2000, there have to be some hurt feelings.

Some of the posters advertising the event suggested it was a slave auction. This is nothing like a real slave auction and the tasks our seniors have to perform will not approach the hardships of millions of slaves held in bondage throughout history. To apply that term to the frivolity of what we do seems somehow inappropriate to me.

In their attempt to grab the attention of the audience, some of the seniors crossed the lines of propriety. Whether by what they wore or by what they did, some ran the risk of offending while others subjected the school to some unnecessary liability. This unique event falls in the cracks: student council runs the assembly, but no one tells the seniors what the lines that shouldn't be crossed are. With just two weeks left in their high school careers, seniors are more interested in busting loose than mature contemplation.. Maybe we just need better supervision.

All of this raises some questions we need to think about soon. Our Faith Faithful celebration lasted three hours. HS graduation will be at least that long. Both are special times for students and families, but increasingly, people are unwilling to devote that much time to these kinds of activities. The class of 2010 will likely have as many as 30 more graduates. Following our current pattern, graduation could stretch to four hours long.

It might be time to rethink some of our activities, born in the day when had classes that were in the 30-40 student range, and look for new ways to commemorate special events. We can still have memorable events without committing people to marathons and spectacles. As always, your ideas are appreciated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a new family to Faith this year, I wasn't very impressed with the information my daughter brought home about this event. She indicated that seniors were auctioned off as slaves to the highest bidder(s). What concerned me most about this event was the amount of money being spent. When my husband asked our daughter if she had bid, she indicated that she didn't have enough money (opening bids were $20) and that many students decided to "pool" their money. I thought it was ridiculous when I heard that one
freshman just kept increasing her bid until she finally won the "slave" for $2000. What kind of example does this set for those children who come from families who are struggling to afford private Christian education? And as you've indicated, how do those students feel who received "sympathy" bids? If you continue this event in the future and you're going to have a minimum opening bid, I truly believe there should be some type of maximum bid. My daughter didn't feel left out because she couldn't bid, which is good, because in the end, I wouldn't have condoned her throwing her hard-earned money away on something like this.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comment above, and I appreciate Mr. Dunning's observations. I too, was appalled at the money being thrown around at such an event. If any of the kids felt belittled because they could only bid 20 dollars, that is really sad. These days, 20 bucks is allot of money. $2000 dollars for a senior slave bid? What? Yes, the school needs money, but in this way? When my daughter came home and shared the event, I was really shocked. Forget the skirt issue, what did this do to kids on the block-the kids not able to bid and parents who are trying to make ends meet on a daily basis? She told me how bad she felt for one girl who just stood up with her hands folded waiting to be bid on. Mr. Dunning, thank you for seeing this, and we trust that guidelines will be formed for next year. I can see how it can be a really fun event and I don't think it should be taken away, but rules need to be set as to how it is presented, limits on bids and peoples feelings need to be taken into account.
I also really appreciate the fact that thru this blog, there is an open dialog. Thanks

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were also shocked at the thought that someone was able to bid $2,000 for such an event. If parents want to give $2,000 to the school as a gift, it should be presented in a different way. For those students that aren't part of the popular group, such a spectacle can be an embarrassing end to what may have been an otherwise great experience at Faith. Perhaps you might consider asking for volunteers in the future. This will give students an opportunity to 'opt out' of an event in which they may not feel comfortable participating. Also, you might consider a bid range in the future so the senior class is still able leave a legacy to the school. Perhaps $10 - $100 per bid would work a little better. You might even consider shorter amounts of time that the students would buy their 'slave'. I don't disagree with the event. I just think it could be made into a more positive event for all included.

I love the idea of this blog as it gives parents and students the chance to chat on an informal level. I hope you continue to bring some of these more controversial issues to light on the blog. I think it will give you a lot of insight as to the discussions that are happening between the students and their parents. Keep it up Mr. Dunning!

Anonymous said...

My son and I read this blog together and agreed with you completely.
He said that he was appalled at the high prices and also the inappropriate dress of some of the participants. He also felt so badly for those students who were "not as valuable" as others.
He chose not to participate in the auction this year, as the whole thing has gotten so far out of hand. Plus, he saw no use in "purchasing" any of the seniors as he had no use for their services. He also told me that some kids came with blank checks for this event!! I, as a parent of three older children, in addition to my son at Faith.......I would be crazy to do such a thing!!

Anonymous said...

I am very relieved to read the comments of some parents and Mr. Dunning on this topic. This event caused a major discussion in our household when my son came home and wanted to clean out his savings in order to buy one of the "popular athletes" at this event. I have absolutely no problem contributing to the various fundraising events at Faith, but this event bothered me. I was just thankful my son didn't have access to his savings when he came home in a "Senior Auction Frenzy"!

Anonymous said...

There are so many ways Seniors can show their appreciation for the school. Fund raising is great... for school enhancements, for charities, or to save up as an endowment for college expence loans. etc, etc.

I think having the "slave" aspect of it is ill directed. Last year my child spent $120 for this ridculousness. Then this year I told him $20. tops. He pooled his money with others, gave the slave funny things to wear (which he never got back, items valued at $80.)

This seems like a college fraternity prank and coming from a school like ours with our foundation being built upon loving the Lord and spreading his message I just think the whole thing is not of our calliber, not necessarily beneath us but just not what we're about.

Yes, school can be fun, and raising money can be fun but not at the expence of demoralizing children and the general nature of the school environment.

I know they can come up with a new and better end of the year thrill that generates revenue, they're brilliant kids who are also kind hearted!

p.s. I love Faith!