Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Project Runway

It's official. Skirts and skorts will not be part of the dress code next year. I am curious to discover which change will elicit the most response: significant changes in our drug/alcohol policy or the banning of skirts. I think I have a good guess.

While the decision had already been made today was illustrative of one of the reasons this is a good idea in our setting. It was a bit breezy. I had crosswalk duty. Thirty feet away a group of middle school girls were gathered to wait for rides and this time of year, to talk about boys, when the wind kicked up and so did the back of this young lady's skirt. Suffice it to say I saw parts of her that should be reserved for moms and doctors. Fortunately for me, I don't know who the young lady is, which will spare both of us some additional embarrassment. Today's half second was enough.

I understand the need to be cool in a desert climate. I appreciate that dresses accentuate femininity and I am not one of those modernists who wish to blur any differences between males and females. But fundamentally, Faith is about education and no strong argument can be made that the wearing of skirts and skorts improve the opportunities for students to learn. And I am old-fashioned enough to believe that modesty should have a place in the lives of young people (and adults, but that is another matter), especially at a Christian school. There are plenty of opportunities outside of school for girls to wear skirts and shorts at whatever length parents will tolerate.

Like some other policy changes, we will review this after a year. I would be surprised however, if the faculty supports a return to the status quo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Damiano's mom. I agree with you completely on the skirt issue!
My daughter went to the Meadows long ago for middle school and even wore shorts underneath her skirt, as the boys sometimes went around doing "skirt flipping".
I High School she always wore jeans or shorts at a reasonable length and did the same in college.
She still dresses in a "classic" style as an adult.
I do believe that some of these parents should really take some responsibility for how their young women dress. Even outside of school as well.
It reminds me of " Bring up your child in the way he should go..."

Kudos!!

Anonymous said...

I also agree that the girls have been given multiple warnings about the length of their skirts. Shame on those who blew it for everyone. My daughter never leaves the house in short skirts. I only buy her the pants and skorts. I hope you will reevaluate the skorts since they have built in shorts and don't blow up. They are modest and a good solution for young ladies who like to look like ladies. there are few enough choices for dressing for school. Also, the shorts sold at Campus Club are too large for my daughter. The sizes run in Juniors starting at Size 1, but she still wears size 10/12 in girls. Please look at the Skorts as an alternative or offer shorts taht will fit the smaller girls. Thanks.

KMD said...

We will work with the policy as described in the letter for a year. Parents who have size issues with the uniform may want to try our other approved vendors to see if a better fit can be found.

kmd

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how relieved I am that there has been this needed revision in the dress code.

On a daily basis as I would drop off my child, I would see many girls with skirts way too short!

I would think "doesn't the parent see what their daughter is wearing? Do they care?"

Thanks for your decision. It will make a difference.