Friday, September 19, 2008

Waiting for the Football Game to Start


So in keeping with my promise that my readers get some news before everyone else, I am excited to let you know that Avalon, one of contemporary Christian music's most popular groups, will perform in concert at the new Chapel/Performing Arts building on Saturday, November 8 at 7:30 pm. The concert will kick-off "dedication weekend" with a service to follow on Sunday, November 9 at 2 p.m. Look for more information in The Crusader and on the website in the next few weeks. We have some really cool things planned to celebrate the opening of this building.

About a month into the school year things are going well. Our HS athletic teams are doing well and middle school sports are about to get into their game schedules. One thing not going particularly well is traffic. Today I received this email from a parent: I am contacting you regarding pick up and drop off of the 6th graders at you school. It is a little scary at drop off and pick up time. I am experiencing parents cutting in and out from the curb, stopping in the lane of traffic(because the curb is full) to drop off instead of using the curb. This morning I saw a parent stop in the middle lane an let their child walk from the middle of the street to the side walk. I understand that everyone is busy and in a hurry but if everyone followed the guidelines of a single line and pulling up to the car in front of you from the light at Home Run and Hualapai, it might take a minute or so longer but seems that is would be safer and a lot less confusing.
It is possible that I am misunderstanding how this should work, please forward any thoughts.

Homestretch Avenue seems unusually dangerous this year. That is at least in part because the volume of traffic is higher than it should be. Only 6th graders are supposed to be picked up there. On my occasional visits to that part of campus I've noticed that we either have the world's tallest 6th graders, or other students are meeting parents there. We have limited ability to enforce common sense and good judgment. Maybe it's time to hand out detentions to students who are in the wrong place and have parents serve them!

This week Mr. Orr, Mr. Chalfant and I spent some time at Apple, Inc. They have a great set of products and comprehensive approach to teaching teachers how to use technology to change the way we teach and students learn. We are considering a partnership with them, which would gradually move most of the computers in school from the PC to the Mac platform. I am wondering two things: 1st, have you noticed any difference with your students with our renewed emphasis on technology; and 2nd, do parents care what platform computers our students use?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to love Mac's. I think the change of platform would benefit the school. My student is loving the technology currently being used, but I know he would love the change to Mac's as well. I know the school is going in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

I am seeing my students talk more about technology and to use it more too. I like the google FL site. I am glad they are learning to use these tools. We use Apples at home! YES!

Anonymous said...

About lunches...
I'm writing to applaud the change in food services. The menu seems far more appealing and healthier than the constant nuked fried chicken offerings of last year. Our problem is that my high school student isn't even getting to try the new menu items because they're usually always sold out to 6th graders and middle schoolers long before high schoolers get to lunch. Are other high school parents hearing the same complaint? If so, how about either increasing the portions cooked, or saving some of the daily special for the last lunch period please? Tired of paying for my son to buy a pb&j when the announced menu specials sounded so good!!!

Anonymous said...

At my son's last school they used Apple and it is a great program. They were all about technology and just about every class room had 10 laptops. The teachers are now starting to use smartboards which is a great investment too.

Anonymous said...

Go to Apple. I've just finished the One on One program and truly feel like a pro. A partnership with them would prove advantageous to students and teachers. What a great product. The students all love it as well.

Anonymous said...

Apple comment:
If the school were to change to Apple, would the students still be able to use the microsoft programs? I am not sure how Apple programs work-never used them before-but don't really want to have to buy a mac in order to do homework.
Thanks
PS-love the computer class with Mr. Dooley-kids seem to really like what they are learning!

KMD said...

So some comments on the comments....1st, I have heard a couple of times about food running out by the third lunch. Prepping for this many students is as much art as science, but I( will speak again to the chef.

I am glad to hear so many positive responses to technology. I expect that will become increasingly important to the way students learn. As to the specifics, with the right software, a Mac can run Microsoft Office. I expect we will get the right software.

Anonymous said...

Windows! Dell was the referece your front office gave us b4 purchasing a laptop for our daughter this year!!!

KMD said...

Well, not knowing what grade level your daughter is puts me at a bit of a disadvantage. We are a PC school and cetainly will be one throughout this year. Even next year, if we move forward with the one-to-one program, 11th and 12th graders would use our current Tablet PCs while freshman and sophomores would begin the transition to an Apple format.

Anonymous said...

I made the comment above, and my daughter is in 6th grade...