Sunday, April 20, 2008

Faith Faithful

I often tell people I have the best job of any Lutheran school administrator in the country. Today I spent three hours figuring out that's not really true. Today we held our annual Faith Faithful recognition, a time we take to honor those students who have been here since 6th grade (or 7th grade for 1st Good Shepherd students.) About 45% of the class of 2008 falls into that category. Mrs, MacAllister, Mrs. Ball, Mr. Laufer and several others spoke eloquently, emotionally and often kiddingly about these students who they had come to know over the 6 or 7 years they attended here. I was jealous.

I miss building those relationships with students, a task complicated when it may often seems with students that my job is to put the hammer down. Few in the Faith Faithful group had ever been to my office, a testimony to their character and to some good parenting. That I do not know many of them well is my loss, one we will all feel next August when this group of fine young men and women no longer walk our halls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Dunning,
just checking out the website trying to get a feel for the new school that is about to become a very large part of our lives . . .great idea, the blog. Although you feel you are missing out on relationships and personal details of your students' lives, you are leading a great community in a profound manner! Instead of impacting one graduating class, you have impacted many!

Anonymous said...

I agree. I know you must feel, especially this year, that you might be getting the short end of the stick- but you stepped up to the plate, both you and Mrs. Dunning, and stayed put. Thank you for all the extra work ALL of you have had to do to make this year as smooth as possible. I cannot believe we are looking at only a few more weeks. Well done, and I hope you take a small breather over the summer. You deserve it. Please know you are appreciated.